Welcome to Alan Hagberg Photography. Alan Hagberg was first published in The Best of Photography 1983. His commercial work includes cover photography for InfoWorld Magazine, product photography for Silicon Valley high-tech companies and movie stills for UCSC film projects. Alan’s photographic art spans portraiture, still lifes, land, sea and city scapes, nature and wildlife, macro/micro photography and abstracts. He was among the first to revive hand coloring in the 1980s and is highly adept at Photoshop® color correction and digital modification.
A collection of Alan’s photographs was part of a traveling exhibit from UCLA Art Center entitled “Promising Young Photographers.” Alan has led advanced photographic workshops for UCSC Extension and Essential Photography seminars for The Dada Luminata Society.
CLICK PHOTOS FOR LARGER VIEW
April 17, 2017. Spring is springing and it’s a beautiful, overcast but warm Patriot’s Day on Cape Cod. What better place to be than at the site of Cape Cod’s first lighthouse? Highland Light (previously known as Cape Cod Light) is an active lighthouse on the Cape Cod National Seashore in North Truro, Massachusetts. The current tower was erected in 1857, replacing two earlier towers that had been built in 1797 and 1831. It is the oldest and tallest lighthouse on Cape Cod.
In 1797, a station authorized by George Washington was established at this point on the Cape, with a wood lighthouse to warn ships about the dangerous coastline between Cape Ann and Nantucket. It was the first light on Cape Cod. In 1833, the wood structure was replaced by a brick tower and in 1840 a new lantern and lighting apparatus was installed. In 1857 the lighthouse was declared dangerous and demolished, and for a total cost of $17,000, the current 66 foot brick tower was constructed.
On June 6, 1900, the light was changed from a fixed beam to flashing, with a new. The new Barbier, Benard & Turenne first-order Fresnel lens had four panels of 0.92 meter focal distance, revolved in mercury, and gave, every five seconds, flashes of about 192,000 candlepower nearly one-half second in duration. While the new lens was being installed, the light from a third-order lens was exhibited atop a temporary tower erected near the lighthouse; it was later sold at acution. The Highland Light was then the most powerful on the East Coast. Two four-horsepower oil engines with compressors operated by an engine fueled by kerosene, were added to ensure that the fog signal could be activated within 10 minutes instead of the previous forty five. A new fog signal was installed in 1929, an electrically operated air oscillator, for greater distance range.
The lighthouse was converted to electric operation in 1932 with a 1000-watt beacon. In 1946, Highland Light’s Fresnel lens was replaced by modern aerobeacons, first by a Crouse and Hinds DCB-36 double rotating light and then by a Carlisle & Finch DCB-224, with a second unit as backup. Unfortunately, the Fresnel lens was severely damaged when it was removed, but fragments are on display in the museum on site. The light was fully automated by 1986 with a Crouse-Hinds DCB-224 rotating beacon.. Finally, in 1998, a VRB-25 optical system was installed.
THE DAILY SONG
Spring – Sonata for Violin & Piano Op. 24
THE DAILY SONG
Another Day Another Ray Of Hope
Summer Has Finally Arrived On Cape Cod